How to Light a Safety Pilot System for your Vented Gas Log Set
HOW TO LIGHT A SAFETY PILOT SYSTEM
FOR YOUR VENTED GAS LOG SET
Below are steps that are needed to relight your safety pilot light for your vented gas logs. If you do not feel safe turning on your pilot, please call a professional. If you smell gas, TURN OFF your gas appliance, and the supply line to that gas appliance and call your local gas utility company.
If you have a vent-free or unvented gas log please check out our video on our other fireplace help page for vent-free burners. Click Here
TOOLS NEEDED: LONG HANDLE LIGHTER AND FLASHLIGHT
- Ensure the gas is turned on to allow gas to the fireplace.
- If the log set has a switch on it, place it in the OFF position.
- Turn the safety control valve knob to the pilot position. At the pilot position, you will be able to push the knob the maximum amount toward the valve.
- Push and hold the knob in for a time sufficient to replace the air in the pilot line with gas (this can sometimes take up to three minutes, as the pilot line is very small, as is the amount of gas flowing to the pilot).
- While pushing the knob in, light the pilot with a match (or push the button of the piezo ignitor, if equipped). Continue to hold in the knob with the pilot lit for 30 to 90 seconds, or until such time as when you release the knob, the pilot remains lit.
- Once the pilot remains lit, you may turn the valve to anyplace up to and including full on to allow gas to flow to the main burner.
- If the pilot fails to light, repeat the steps above.
Warning: Fireplace doors and your damper must be open during operation
|The pilot will not light|
|The pilot will not stay lit after releasing knob|
|Burner system extinguishes a few minuted after lighting|
|Burner system extinguishes a few minutes after burning for some time (approximately 10 minutes to 1 hour)|
These troubleshooting materials can be found in the RH Peterson Co. Real Fyre Installation and Owners Manual.
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.